Issue with TensorFlow Library when I try rasa init - Getting Started with Rasa / Tutorials, Resources & Videos - Rasa Community Forum

Issue with TensorFlow Library when I try rasa init

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to download Rasa on my local Mac machine with an M3 Chip, and for some reason, I am getting the following error when I try rasa-init:

Training an initial model…

The TensorFlow library was compiled to use AVX instructions, but these aren’t available on your machine.

Abort trap: 6

I have a MacBook Pro Apple M3 Chip MacOS Sequoia 15.0

Rasa Version : 3.5.17
Minimum Compatible Version: 3.5.0
Rasa SDK Version : 3.5.1
Python Version : 3.7.7
Operating System : Darwin-24.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Python Path : /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/python3.7

Here is what I get when I run pip show tensorflow tensorflow-cpu tensorflow-macos

WARNING: Package(s) not found: tensorflow-cpu
Name: tensorflow
Version: 2.12.0
Summary: TensorFlow is an open source machine learning framework for everyone.
Home-page: https://www.tensorflow.org/
Author: Google Inc.
Author-email: packages@tensorflow.org
License: Apache 2.0 Location: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages
Requires: absl-py, astunparse, flatbuffers, gast, google-pasta, grpcio, h5py, jax, keras, libclang, numpy, opt-einsum, packaging, protobuf, setuptools, six, tensorboard, tensorflow-estimator, tensorflow-io-gcs-filesystem, termcolor, typing-extensions, wrapt

Required-by: rasa, tensorflow-text


Name: tensorflow-macos
Version: 2.12.0
Summary: TensorFlow is an open source machine learning framework for everyone.
Home-page: https://www.tensorflow.org/
Author: Google Inc.
Author-email: packages@tensorflow.org
License: Apache 2.0
Location: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages
Requires: absl-py, astunparse, flatbuffers, gast, google-pasta, grpcio, h5py, jax, keras, libclang, numpy, opt-einsum, packaging, protobuf, setuptools, six, tensorboard, tensorflow-estimator, tensorflow-io-gcs-filesystem, termcolor, typing-extensions, wrapt

Required-by:

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, I have been trying to resolve this issue for a while and got many other errors during the process of even downloading Rasa, this version of Rasa with Python 3.7.7 was the only one that completed its full download and it is still running into issues here. I need some help because I am out of my depth here. Thank you!


Reply from amn41 on Jan 3, 2025

Hi @EPitchiah thanks for posting. Is there a reason you are installing Rasa 3.5? It’s a very old version which is now out of support. I would suggest starting with Rasa 3.6.20. Unfortunately Tensorflow does frequently introduce these kinds of issues.


Reply from EPitchiah on Jan 3, 2025

Hi @amn41,

Thank you for the reply. I did start by trying to download the most recent version of Rasa (3.6.20), however, I was unable to install the software due to several conflicting dependencies, it took a while to try out different solutions and I ended up downloading 3.5 since that was one of the only versions that allowed me to complete installation and move into creating and training a model. Is there maybe a different version of python (other than the most recent) that I should be trying to install Rasa under?


Reply from amn41 on Jan 16, 2025

thanks @EPitchiah - we just released Rasa 3.6.21 - could you give that a go? That should hopefully clean things up.


Final post by dona168lee on Feb 11, 2025

Hello,

I’ve been trying to download Rasa on my local Mac machine with an M3 Chip and have encountered the following error when attempting rasa init: Training an initial model… The TensorFlow library was compiled to use AVX instructions, but these aren’t available on your machine. Abort trap: 6 System Details:

MacBook Pro Apple M3 Chip
MacOS Sequoia 15.0
Rasa Version: 3.5.17 (Minimum Compatible Version: 3.5.0)
Rasa SDK Version: 3.5.1
Python Version: 3.7.7
Operating System: Darwin-24.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Python Path: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/python3.7

WARNING: Package(s) not found: tensorflow-cpu
Name: tensorflow
Version: 2.12.0
Summary: TensorFlow is an open source machine learning framework for everyone. Location: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages
Name: tensorflow-macos
Version: 2.12.0
Summary: TensorFlow is an open source machine learning framework for everyone. Location: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages

Anyone can help in this!

Best Regards, Dona