Integrating Rasa Open Source with external LLM / RAG - Rasa Open Source - Rasa Community Forum

Introducing the Rasa Playground

Integrating Rasa Open Source with external LLM / RAG

post by annisatfrn on Feb 25

Hi all,

I’m a student currently learning Rasa and exploring how Rasa Open Source can be integrated with external LLM or RAG-based systems.

I understand that Rasa Pro already provides built-in support for RAG. However, I’m curious whether similar integrations are recommended or commonly implemented in Rasa Open Source, for example through custom actions or external APIs.

If available, are there any sample implementations, tutorials, or example repositories that demonstrate this type of integration?

Additionally, if such integration is feasible, I would really appreciate any insights into best practices, tips, or common challenges (e.g., dependency management, scalability, latency, or maintenance) when using Rasa Open Source with external RAG systems.

Thanks in advance!


post by micseydel on Feb 27

My understanding is that Rasa Open Source is basically deprecated, so I don’t think there are any recommendations. Could you say more about your use-case? I’m currently using Rasa Open Source every day, but I’ve been thinking about tinkering more with LLMs because of OpenClaw’s popularity.