Failed to get a proper response from remote server - [Deprecated] Rasa X Community Edition - Rasa Community Forum

👋 Introducing the Rasa Playground

Failed to get a proper response from remote server

post by cck197 on Apr 9, 2020

Hi, I’m having trouble getting Rasa X running on Google Cloud Platform Kubernetes Engine.

I did the install using Helm:


# Add the repository which contains the Rasa X Helm chart
helm repo add rasa-x https://rasahq.github.io/rasa-x-helm

# Deploy Rasa X
helm install \
    --generate-name \
    --namespace <name of your namespace> \
    --values values.yml \
    rasa-x/rasa-x

rasa==1.9.5
rasa-sdk==1.9.0

$ kubectl --namespace rasa get pods
NAME                                                 READY   STATUS             RESTARTS   AGE
rasa-x-1586477260-app-64ff85c5c-x5vtz                1/1     Running            0          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-duckling-7bb45fd959-q7kqh          1/1     Running            0          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-event-service-b9b96bc69-jtzq9      1/1     Running            1          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-nginx-5fd6dc5569-rvvf6             1/1     Running            0          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-postgresql-0                       1/1     Running            0          133m
rasa-x-1586477260-rabbit-0                           1/1     Running            0          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-rasa-production-795688666b-cfngp   0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   8          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-rasa-worker-858bf7764f-69b79       0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   8          28m
rasa-x-1586477260-rasa-x-8d5ddcb6c-pjdln             1/1     Running            0          27m
rasa-x-1586477260-redis-master-0                     1/1     Running            0          133m

$ kubectl --namespace rasa logs rasa-x-1586477260-rasa-production-795688666b-cfngp
2020-04-10 02:26:30 DEBUG    rasa.cli.x  - Failed to get a proper response from remote server. Status Code: 401. Response: '{"reasons":["Authorization header not present."],"exception":"Unauthorized"}'

$ kubectl --namespace rasa logs rasa-x-1586477260-rasa-worker-858bf7764f-69b79
2020-04-10 02:31:40 DEBUG    rasa.cli.x  - Failed to get a proper response from remote server. Status Code: 401. Response: '{"reasons":["Authorization header not present."],"exception":"Unauthorized"}'

Looks like the error comes from here:

I can log into the Rasa X interface, but nothing happens when I click the “Train” button, and when I try to upload a model, I get the error:


$ curl -k -F "model=@models/20200409-115717.tar.gz" "http://XX.XX.XX.XXXX:8000/api/projects/default/models?api_token=35fdab3f9f340aad110a633deecffb2d5999871a"
{"version":"0.27.4","status":"failure","message":"See the server logs for more information.","reason":"The server encountered an internal error and cannot complete the request.","details":{},"help":null,"code":500}

Any clues as to what I did wrong? Thank you!

post by stephens on Apr 15, 2020

In your initial install, it looks like you followed the steps to install the Enterprise version of our product but you were not able to install that version without an enterprise key.

You solved it by grabbing the open source repos.

Good job!

post by cck197 on Apr 16, 2020

Ah yes, I see. In general, I’ve found the Rasa X docs quite hard to navigate. It seems like there are options but it’s not clear what bits apply to my configuration.

Separately, it took me ages to figure out the paths parameter, which on GKE should look like this:


@@ -381,7 +381,7 @@ ingress:
   hosts:
     - host: rasa-x.example.com
       paths:
-      - /
+      - /*

Without the additional asterix, requests for static assets, e.g. /css aren’t passed through to nginx.