Chitchat cannot be handled - Rasa CALM - Rasa Community Forum
👋 Introducing the Rasa Playground
Chitchat cannot be handled
post by PetrG on Feb 13, 2025
Hi. I’m trying to enable chitchat in my Rasa Pro CALM bot. I did exactly what is written here: Chitchat and Small Talk , but after any chitchat message, I get the default “cannot handle” message as a response.
I have
- fully functioning Rasa CALM where everything else works well
- Intentess policy set up in config.yml
- rephrase turned on in endpoints.yml
- working OpenAI key in the env
In the logs I see the Chitchat() command is correctly predicted, but a bit later “cannot_handle” pattern is triggered with reason “cannot_handle_chitchat”. Here is what I think is the relevant part of the logs:
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.shared.providers._ssl_verification_utils - [debug ] ensure_ssl_certificates_for_litellm_non_openai_based_clients ssl_certificate=None ssl_verify=None
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.shared.providers._ssl_verification_utils - [debug ] ensure_ssl_certificates_for_litellm_openai_based_clients ssl_certificate=None ssl_verify=None
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.shared.providers.llm._base_litellm_client - [debug ] base_litellm_client.formatted_response formatted_response={'id': 'chatcmpl-B0SktHKKj9ujsDzIK1AXhZg0nTzLA', 'choices': ['ChitChat()'], 'created': 1739450235, 'model': 'gpt-4-0613', 'usage': {'prompt_tokens': 730, 'completion_tokens': 5, 'total_tokens': 735}, 'additional_info': None}
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.utils.log_utils - [debug ] llm_command_generator.predict_commands.actions_generated action_list=ChitChat()
C:\Users\PetrG\AppData\Local\miniconda3\envs\Chatbot-assistant\lib\site-packages\pydantic\main.py:314: UserWarning: Pydantic serializer warnings:
Expected `CompletionTokensDetails` but got `dict` - serialized value may not be as expected
return self.__pydantic_serializer__.to_python(
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.utils.log_utils - [debug ] llm_command_generator.predict_commands.finished commands=[ChitChatAnswerCommand()]
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.engine.graph - [debug ] graph.node.running_component clazz=RegexMessageHandler fn=process node_name=run_RegexMessageHandler
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.core.processor - [debug ] processor.message.parse parse_data_entities=[] parse_data_intent={'name': None, 'confidence': 0.0} parse_data_text=how are you?
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.core.processor - Logged UserUtterance - tracker now has 4 events.
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.engine.runner.dask - Running graph with inputs: {'__tracker__': DialogueStateTracker(sender_id: a4870e22aff94850840a49e6947c7018)}, targets: ['command_processor'] and ExecutionContext(model_id='f4e31ef37a464f6b83d396a9ec864be2', should_add_diagnostic_data=False, is_finetuning=False, node_name=None).
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.engine.graph - [debug ] graph.node.running_component clazz=FlowsProvider fn=provide_inference node_name=flows_provider
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.engine.graph - [debug ] graph.node.running_component clazz=StoryGraphProvider fn=provide_inference node_name=story_graph_provider
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.engine.graph - [debug ] graph.node.running_component clazz=CommandProcessorComponent fn=execute_commands node_name=command_processor
2025-02-13 14:10:00 WARNING rasa.dialogue_understanding.processor.command_processor - [warning ] command_processor.clean_up_chitchat_command.replace_chitchat_answer_with_cannot_handle command=CannotHandleCommand(reason='cannot_handle_chitchat') defined_intentless_policy_in_config=True pattern_chitchat_uses_action_trigger_chitchat=True
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.dialogue_understanding.processor.command_processor - [debug ] command_processor.clean_up_commands.final_commands command=[CannotHandleCommand(reason='cannot_handle_chitchat')]
2025-02-13 14:10:00 DEBUG rasa.engine.runner.dask - Running graph with inputs: {'__tracker__': DialogueStateTracker(sender_id: a4870e22aff94850840a49e6947c7018), '__endpoints__': <rasa.core.utils.AvailableEndpoints object at 0x000002097B10CE50>}, targets: ['select_prediction'] and ExecutionContext(model_id='f4e31ef37a464f6b83d396a9ec864be2', should_add_diagnostic_data=False, is_finetuning=False, node_name=None).
No idea what’s wrong and how to make it work…
Thanks much for any help.
post by mnchs12312321 on Feb 19, 2025
Commenting to share that I am facing the exact same issue after following the documentation. Have you found a solution yet or is this still an issue?
I am limited to using Rasa 3.10 but would good to know if it’s also an issue with later versions.
2025-02-19 15:13:55 WARNING rasa.dialogue_understanding.processor.command_processor - [warning ] command_processor.clean_up_chitchat_command.replace_chitchat_answer_with_cannot_
handle command=CannotHandleCommand(reason='cannot_handle_chitchat') defined_intentless_policy_in_config=True pattern_chitchat_uses_action_trigger_chitchat=True
post by PetrG on Feb 20, 2025
Nope. I tried everything that I thought might be relevant - no success. Also couldn’t find any relevant info on this anywhere else. I’m on Rasa 3.10.7.
Currently I have a workaround, where I use a “chitchat” flow instead - this handles at least the most frequent cases of user chitchat messages in a simple manner.
Would be grateful if you let me know in case you solve this.
post by mnchs12312321 on Feb 20, 2025
@Arjaan can you please advise when we can expect support on this issue? This thread is now a week old and following the official Rasa documentation has been insufficient.
post by shellka on Feb 28, 2025
Do you found how to fix it ?
post by PetrG on Mar 5, 2025
Nope. Could please someone from Rasa comment on this? I’m clearly not the only one having this problem and the documentation is not sufficient on this.
post by mnchs12312321 on Mar 5, 2025
@PetrG I tried tagging the person who wrote the pinned post saying Rasa devs monitor these threads daily. I suggest tagging others if you know any
post by PetrG on Mar 19, 2025
@ChrisRahme : Would you perhaps know how to solve this…? Looks like more people face the same issue and we’re not getting any help here.. Thanks..
post by m_ashurkina on Mar 20, 2025
Hi all, thank you for raising this issue and sorry for making you wait, I’ll check with the Rasa team what’s the best way to solve it and come back to you shortly, Marina
post by m_ashurkina on Mar 20, 2025
Hi @PetrG @mnchs12312321 @shellka thanks again for raising this issue. This is a bug and it has been reported. This bug is triggered when IntentlessPolicy is used AND there is no e2e tests. If you want to continue using IntentlessPolicy there is a workaround: please create an e2e test, here is the link to docs how to do it: Evaluating Your Assistant (E2E Testing) | Rasa Documentation. Please let me know if you still encounter the issue. Marina
post by carlojanssens on Mar 30, 2025
I am still having the same issue here.